Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Trinkets and Trash




My first stab at an altered book. This was the other book I created for my final in bookbinding. I am not one to have amazing conceptual ideas behind my pieces, especially my books. I like knowing that someday maybe someone will purchase one of my blank books and make it their own. I love the idea of sparking creativity through my own makings. This was a HUGE step outside the box for me. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out what I wanted my altered book to be about. All my life I have collected small trinkets, whether they be from friends, family, or just random things I have found and held onto. I gutted out this book and packed it full of a small sampling of these things, then I put a gloss gel medium coating of brown over the entire book and plastered the cover and back with images I drew in highschool when I was bored. I think it is successful and it is a unique way of displaying trinkets and trash! I hope to create more of these in the future, for my own personal enjoyment :)

Materials Used: Book from Goodwill, pva glue, sampling of trinkets and trash, old drawings(all ink pen)

No comments: